PO Box 508
Loganville, GA 30052
Home: (770) 554-1497
Cell: (770) 722-3971
Tested and proven communications expert adept at managing sigmaessays homwork help people, resources and multiple responsibilities. Able to identify and convey core messages through marketing, promotional, public relations and social media, using print and digital platforms.
- Organized team of writers and produced a series of newspaper articles nominated for a Pulitzer Prize.
- Conceived and implemented a digital magazine that had a 40-percent open rate in its first month.
- Improved an already effective customer-acquisition strategy that brought in nearly $100,000 of additional revenue over following year.
- Key member of marketing team which hosted a live event featuring national speaker that drew a near-capacity crowd to Philips Arena in Atlanta
- Wrote promotional material (email campaign, website content, collateral material) for annual symposium, producing as much as $400,000 in sales.
- Four-time winner of Georgia Sports Writers Association’s story of the year.
- Article writing and blogs
- Communication strategies
- Copywriting and proofing
- Creating editorial calendars
- Crisis management
- Developing content plans
- Email campaigns
- Legal compliance
- Manuals, catalogs
- Managing freelance workers
- Media consulting
- Media event planning
- Media management
- Media kits
- Organizing press conferences
- Press releases
- Product launches
- Public speaking
- Relationship building
- Social media content
- Strategic planning
- Video creation
- MS Office Suite
- Word Press
- Basic HTML
CodeReady Solutions / BetterTrades
Communications Director | Content Manager | Social media writer Nov. 2008 – May 2016
- Promoted stock market education company, associate speakers, product lines and workshops, both live and online, via website content and social media
- Wrote search-engine boosting content for multiple projects, including company website, blog, social media sites and supplemental websites for stock market education company
- Created content management/social media plans
- Created monthly “In the Money Magazine” digital stock market publication
- Promoted new product launches, including DVDs, online educational classes and trading tools. The most recent DVD series had $40,000 in sales the first month
- Created PowerPoint presentations for live and online events that met legal compliance standards
- Edited and produced 10 multiple-disc DVD educational products
- Wrote ebooks designed to present complicated stock market topics in a way that was understandable to new and less-experienced students.
- Promoted (digital articles, emails, magazine) a live stadium event with national celebrities
National Golf Writer 2005 – 2008
- Promoted to national golf writer position and covered the sport on a national and international level
- Attended and covered major golf events (Masters, U.S. Open, PGA Championship, Ryder Cup), college tournaments, and other professional and amateur golf events held in Georgia
- Developed relationships with members of the PGA Tour and leaders of the golf industry
- Wrote about travel destinations and new products, pursuant to the sport
- Assisted in coverage of college football, basketball (NCAA playoffs), baseball (College World Series) when needed
Assistant Sports Editor 1987 – 2005
- Managed a 20-member staff of full-time and part-time employees. Created editorial calendar and organized 12 community sections each week, totaling more than 600 pages per year.
- Built a team of select reporters and managed a Pulitzer Prize-nominated story package that investigated the failure of physical exams to detect fatal heart problems among high school athletes. Stories impacted the state to require a more thorough examination, thus saving lives.
- Collaborated with designers, photographers and copywriters to ensure a steady work flow and met deadlines
- Developed relationships with sources to ensure top juicer brands
- Mentored young staffers and helped them secure meaningful positions at other outlets
Gwinnett Daily News
Sports Editor 1983-1987
- Managed five-person sports department, covered news and wrote columns for one of the leading suburban newspapers in the fastest-growing section of the country
- Section recognized by A.P. Sports Editors as Top 10 in circulation category, 1984-87
- Became a voter for Heisman Trophy
- Mentored staff members who graduated to jobs in Baltimore, Minneapolis, Indianapolis and New York
Community Sports Editor 1979 – 1983
- Sports editor of a weekly edition that covered part of suburban Atlanta
- Contributed to daily section of newspaper by covering college and high school events
Contractual & Freelance Experience
U.S. Amateur Golf Championship
Contractual media consultant June 2013 – Aug. 2014
- Developed communication strategies, campaigns and initiatives for the Atlanta Athletic Club, an exclusive private club hosting the most prestigious amateur golf event in the world
- Ghosted articles and wrote talking points for tournament directors and other club officials
- Arranged TV and radio appearances for members of club’s executive team of organizers
- Created and maintained a contact list of media, county and local officials
- Wrote and distributed press releases to promote the event
- Coordinated media day events and press conferences for local and national press and digital media representatives
- Invited and hosted media representatives for preview visits at club
Other Contract & Freelance Experience
- Editor / Golf Georgia magazine
- Columnist / PGA Tour.com
- Voiceover work for Georgia Parks golf course websites
- Newsletter editor for CPA / Attorneys Marketing
- Co-host of cable television sports program
- Frequent guest on radio programs
- Freelance correspondent / Associated Press, Reuters
Business and feature stories published in: PGA Magazine, PGA Tour.com, NBC Universal, Georgia Trend Magazine, Savannah Magazine, New Orleans Magazine, Memphis Magazine, TPC Living Magazine, USGA.com, Yahoo Sports and numerous newspapers, including Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Chicago, Denver, Cleveland, Salt Lake City, Portland, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Newark, Naples, Macon, Savannah, Columbus, Augusta and Athens.
Team at AJC nominated for Pulitzer Prize 2003
Member, Golf Writers Association of America 2006 – present
Executive Director, Ga. Sports Writers Association 2000 – present
Georgia State University
Bachelor of Arts / Journalism Class of 1978
DeKalb Community College
Associate Arts / Journalism Class of 1976
Nominated for Pulitzer Prize by the AJC in 2003; coordinating editor for three-part package about high school students who died because of improper physical examinations.
Numerous honors from Georgia Sports Writers Association, including best feature, best column writing and best news event stories. Winner Sweepstakes Award for best overall story, 2016 and 3018.
Georgia Sports Writers Association
Golf Writers Association of America
This link will prove samples of my work, including articles, press releases, blog posts, digital magazines, etc.