By Laura Dean, National Center for Biotechnology Information (U.S.), National Center for Biotechnology Information (U.S.).
Read Online or Download Blood groups and red cell antigens PDF
Similar nonfiction_5 books
- 1001 Arabian Nights - Volume 5
- Functional Foods, Nutraceuticals and Degenerative Disease Prevention
- Mourir de dire : la honte
- Moving Target Defense: Creating Asymmetric Uncertainty for Cyber Threats
- Dispossessed (Sf Masterworks 16)
Extra info for Blood groups and red cell antigens
This condition is usually fatal, either in utero or soon after birth. The Coombs test detects Rh incompatibility between mother and fetus To detect HDN, the presence of maternal anti-Rh IgG must be identified. In vivo, these antibodies destroy Rh D-positive fetal RBCs, but in vitro, they do not lyse cells or even cause agglutination, making them difficult to identify. Therefore, the Coombs test is used. This test uses antibodies that bind to anti-D antibodies. The test is named for Robin Coombs, who first developed the technique of using antibodies that are targeted against other antibodies.
6. Fuchs CS, Mayer RJ. Gastric carcinoma. N Engl J Med 1995; 333:32-41. 7. Sazama K. Reports of 355 transfusion-associated deaths: 1976 through 1985. Transfusion 1990; 30:583-90. 8. Williamson LM, Lowe S, Love EM, Cohen H, Soldan K, McClelland DB, Skacel P, Barbara JA. Serious hazards of transfusion (SHOT) initiative: analysis of the first two annual reports. BMJ 1999; 319:16-9. 9. Gilja BK, Shah VP. Hydrops fetalis due to ABO incompatibility. Clin Pediatr (Phila) 1988; 27:210-2. 10. Ozolek JA, Watchko JF, Mimouni F.
Chapter 7. The Rh blood group Page 5 of 6 References 1. Reid ME and Lomas-Francis C. The Blood Group Antigen Facts Book. Second ed. 2004, New York: Elsevier Academic Press. 2. Avent ND, Reid ME. The Rh blood group system: a review. Blood 2000; 95:375-87. 3. Daniels G. The molecular genetics of blood group polymorphism. Transpl Immunol 2005; 14(3-4):143153. 4. Westhoff CM. The Rh blood group system in review: a new face for the next decade. Transfusion 2004; 44:1663-73. 5. Daniels GL. Human Blood Groups.